After three long years of planning and preparation we can now count the days! The count clock on the Association website is at 34 days and counting down as I send you these reminders.
As of today Wednesday, October 6thwe are now have 120+ people registered with four 65th and one 71stVeteran planning to attend. What is also exciting is we have quite a few grandchildren and great-grandchildren of our beloved 65th Veterans attending. This will be the largest reunion in quite a few years.
Please make note of these very important points:
· Entry to Camp Shelby Joint Training Center should be through the North Gate with photo I.D. required.
· The lodging office closes each day at 4:00 pm. Arrivals after 4:00 pm will need to request their room or cabin keys from the Guard at the North Gate.
· Bring your 2021 Halbert Magazine or copy the directions and Camp Shelby Map off the website – www.65thdiv.comto assist you as you arrive at Camp Shelby.
· Due to the overwhelming interest in this reunion we have moved the Thursday night Meet and Greet to the Grand Gallery at the Miss. Armed Forces Museum.
· We ask everyone to dress appropriately for the Saturday Ceremonies. Business Casual or Country Club Casual is appropriate. Ladies be aware that seating at the Parade Field Ceremonies will be in metal bleachers. The Military personnel participating in the ceremonies will be in Class A uniforms.
· It is certainly too early to offer a weather forecast but as we approach the reunion dates check the Hattiesburg weather forecast. We will be outside especially Saturday morning and while you are on the guided base tour.
· Please keep in mind we will be on a military installation. You will find everyone quite accommodating and eager to be our host. This reunion has many logistical challenges, so we ask for understanding and flexibility. We want everyone to enjoy our time together. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with all the information about the reunion that is found either in the 2021 Halbert Magazine or on the website.
Looking forward to seeing you at the Home of the 65th – Camp Shelby Joint Training Center
Charlie Gemeinhardt, Reunion of Remembrance Coordinator
We hope you are planning to join us at Camp Shelby in Hattiesburg, MS this November 10-15 for the Association’s “Reunion of Remembrance.” It promises to be an outstanding reunion with many extra features. We are excited for this special event.
We are, however, very mindful of the ongoing risks associated with the Covid pandemic and have coordinated our planning with personnel at Camp Shelby and are tracking both CDC and Mississippi Health Department guidelines. To help minimize the risks during the reunion, we suggest the following safety measures for those planning to attend.
· In conformity with CDC guidelines, we recommend everyone being vaccinated if you are eligible.
· If vaccinated, masks are optional, but suggested at group gatherings or on group vans.
· If not vaccinated, masks are optional, but highly recommended.
· The Association will have a limited supply of masks for those who forgot theirs.
· Hand sanitizer will be available at select stations, including the hotel lobby. Please use.
· Please wash hand frequently.
· Be aware of social distancing guidelines.
· Please Note: Current, masks are required in the Post Exchange at Camp Shelby.
· When visiting with 65th veterans, please ask if they prefer you to wear your mask.
· Please follow all safety requirements when at the reunion, whether offered by Camp Shelby personnel or our Reunion taskforce.
We appreciate everyone doing their part to help reduce the spread of the Covid virus, but obviously we cannot guarantee that a visitor to Camp Shelby will not contract Covid. We believe with your cooperation the risk will be minimized. For your information, there are immediate medical facilities at Camp Shelby, as well as nearby ambulance and hospital services for any medical need should such a situation arise. We continue to monitor the situation and the recommended guidelines.
Below is a link to a TV news piece regarding some new major acquisitions being added to the Mississippi Armed Forces Museum at Camp Shelby. There are tentative plans for those attending the Association Reunion at Camp Shelby November 10-15 to be able to visit the auxiliary facilities where restoration work is performed on these new items, which at this point will not be on display to the general public. Join us this November at Camp Shelby and see the new arrivals and see first hand the restoration work necessary on these historic pieces. Please note: Registration cut off is October 1.
Membership Meeting Minutes, October 24, 2020
All members of the Association should read the minutes below. They are from our Zoom meeting which all Association members were invited to attend due to the pandemic cancellation of our 2020 reunion.
Questions or clarifications should be sent to our team.
All member attendees will be asked to approve these Membership Meeting Minutes at the 2021 Membership Meeting, during the Camp Shelby Reunion. (see schedule)
Membership dues for ANNUAL members are due each January. You can find the MEMBERSHIP renewal form here.
As a reminder, Lifetime Members pay their dues in a one-time payment, which does not include The Halbert publication.
Not a member yet? JOIN US! Find out more information at the same button below.
Be sure to utilize the Membership Form to let us know. We want to keep in touch with you!
Of course, all member information is held with strictest confidence. We are a private organization and DO NOT sell our membership lists.
We publish The Halbert once a year. Make sure that you continue to receive it each year by making a donation to the printing and production.
The Halbert printing costs are not included in your membership.
Of course, we always want you to submit photos and stories for the website and social media...but not everyone spends time online.
The Halbert has been produced for decades and has included some amazing shared stories, history, research, interesting historical context and photos. It has become an invaluable tool for families researching 65th Infantry Division history.
YOUR stories make this publication a success!
Consider sharing items like the following:
Although Reunions have been postponed due to COVID-19, you'll find all the details of our upcoming reunions here!
We've had reunions since shortly after the 65th Infantry Division Veterans returned from WWII and, although COVID-19 caused an unprecedented interruption in our gatherings, soon we'll all be together again.
At each reunion, we have a mandated MEMBERSHIP MEETING that discusses our annual reports, member news and changes, officer appointments and more. Prior to the meeting we'll post many of the reports and documents that members need to review prior to that meeting.
If the Association hosts an online meeting, it will be announced here as well as on social media.
Copyright © 2021 65th Infantry Division Association - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy